Saturday, August 09, 2008

Athletes - YES! China - NO!

I wrote this and published it in a column on Newsvine.com, but it was too hard for my friends to see, so I have republished it here. Normally, pretty much all I talk about here is knitting - but since this is my forum, here it is - feel free to comment.


Athletes - YES! China - NO!
News Type: Event — Thu Aug 7, 2008 9:44 AM EDT
, , , ,
hudcathy
I am sitting here in a Starbucks in Ocala, FL with steam coming out my ears. Hearing about Joey Cheek's visa being refused by the Chinese govt. for reasons they say they don't have to give, has motivated me to speak out like I have never done before. The Chinese govt. thinks this Olympics is all about them and the "show" they are preparing to carefully craft their image to the world. Things like media having certain internet sites blocked, training young Chinese women to be mass-produced Stepford Wife-like "hostesses, and our own President's refusal to acknowledge the politicizing of these athletic competitions have tainted my excitement about the Olympics - and believe me - I was excited. Every Olympics I can remember, has found me glued to the TV every moment I haven't had to work, sleep, or take care of children. I will have a hard time being enthusiastic tomorrow night watching the opening ceremonies. The delicate dance of the Chinese will only serve to remind me of the heavy-handed hammering the Chinese govt. is not only capable of, but demonstrating before our very eyes.
I can only hope and pray that the US media finds a way to broadcast not only the facts, such as Joey Cheek's case, but the unacceptable nature of the Chinese govt.'s actions. The Olympics haven't even begun - one can only wonder what other horribleness they can come up with. After all, they have effectively controlled the competitions Joey Cheek would have competed in by not allowing him to compete - for no stated reason. He wasn't found to be taking performance-enhancing drugs or anything else that would disqualify him by the Olympic committee. In fact, the Chinese govt. has disqualified a US athlete before he has even had a chance to bunk up in the Olympic village.
People - Olympic lovers everywhere - how can we stay silent?

1 comment:

Marie Adeline said...

i agree this is not fair but i cannot forget all chinese people living under such govt, it should be hard, if only such event could bring them hope