Saturday, August 02, 2008

Life is Good!

I'm sitting here at my son and daughter-in-law's house, with my doggies Buffy and Ronda laying here beside me. We had a wonderful dinner last night and Kimberly and I are going to the beach today, rain permitting. It actually doesn't get any better than this.

But close, are some wonderful things that are happening that are bringing my knitting front and center in the enrichment of my life, and hopefully, other lives as well.

First, as many of you can relate - I was organizing my stash, yet again, and made a profound decision. I have decided I do not want to knit with all acrylic yarn. And I have A LOT of acrylic yarn. Now, I'm not a yarn snob, well, I guess I kinda am - but my fingers just don't have fun with acrylic.
When I first started back knitting 3 years ago, I was thrilled at the cornicopia of acrylic yarn found on eBay that I could WIN! So I just stuck my foot - no, my whole leg - in the water of eBay yarn buying! Here is my acrylic stash:

So I found the Angels of Love! They are based in Florida and knit for all the babies they can who need a layette. I mentioned this to my DDIL last night and she already knew of them since the work of Kimberly House, a haven for mothers awaiting the birth of their babies without the support of husband or family, is very close to her heart and a charity she hopes to find more time to support. So fabulous! I'm going to box up this treasure and send it on to them on Monday. I talked with the lovely founder of these Angels of Love and she is beyond thrilled to have this yarn. And she said that all of her knitters, most of whom are retired and/or in assisted living, love this work of knitting for babies - gives their live's purpose and meaning when they aren't able to do a lot more.

So, let's take a count - my Pounds of Love, Homespun, Sport Yarn, etc. is uncluttering almost an entire 50 gal. container in my stash, making me feel good I found a good use for it, giving meaning and purpose to 100 knitters, surrounding new babies with warmth and love, supporting mother's at a time when they most need it, and helping me bond even tighter with my DDIL! WOW - as I said - LIFE IS GOOD!

tomorrow: Another blessing in my life - I'll just give you 3 words - knitting machine, dogs.

No comments: