Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm in Seattle!

A lot of frustration later, I'm here. The flat tire last night on pitch black US 19 at 9:00 didn't stop me - the fact that my printer had no printers didn't stop me (I'll just have to find a Kinko's - since Seattle is world headquarters for Kinko's - shouldn't be a problem!). Even Tropical Storm Fay cooperated - it was a beautiful day to fly out of Tampa and my flight to Denver couldn't have been lovelier. I even got almost an entire dog sweater knit while on planes today:

I'm going to do some overstitching argyle work on it - I think it will be pretty.


So let's talk about getting to Seattle - I could talk about the $55 cab ride, I could even talk about my Inn - the College Inn, built in 1909, no elevator, check-in on the 4th floor, no help with bags. Thank God I'm so young and fit! hahahahahahaha But I made it, and after trudging to the 4th floor and checking in and paying for tonight, Wed, Thurs, Sat., Sun., & Mon - but wait, isn't something missing? Why yes - they have no room for me for Friday! No worries - I now have a reservation at the Artic Club Hotel in downtown Seattle, just blocks away from the waterfront. It was built in 1917 and has just been completely restored. Here is the facade that it is famour for:

I'm really excited about it - it's not really too expensive, although a lot more than College Inn. But it has a bathroom in the room!!!!! Not to worry though, the bathroom here is just right across the hall. It really is a pretty great adventure.

And I can talk about trudging up stairs and no bathroom and no restaurant, but I don't think I've mentioned the fabulous queen bed. There is no TV, but who cares - there isn't anything to watch anyway - I just end up yelling at the Olympics coverage!

But I have saved the best for last - here is the best part of my room:

I adore it - no air-conditioning, just three big windows opened to 60's fresh air overlooking some beautiful swaying trees in front of one of the University of Washington's smaller buildings. It is lightly raining and I think I am going to get a fabulous night's sleep. It's 8:30 pm here, but 11:30 in Florida so I think I'm going to get started on that. Night


1 comment:

helen said...

Hi Cathy!
Glad you made it to Seattle. I'm looking forward to meeting you tomorrow at my studio! Hope you get a good night's rest and are ready for a weekend full of machine knitting! - Helen